Thursday, November 19, 2009

UGH...Akron Marathon gets me again!

So, all of my hard work and excitement for the Akron Marathon really brought me down. I finally had a "bad" race day. No excuses, I was aiming for sub 3:30 and came out with my first sub 4 hour marathon, 3:56:17.

My HR was 171 by mile 3 and honestly it was downhill from there. Plus, you know how runners are, stubborn, so instead of slowing down and adjusting I just kept pushing. I ran the first half in 1:45 and was JUST EXHAUSTED when I got there. Predictably it took me another 2:12 to run the 2nd half of the race.

Akron Marathon: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/15503198
10 miler at pace 3 weeks earlier: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/12544543


Other notables: headphones shorted out at mile 8, splattered a bunch of an opened GU packet all over myself at mile 15, but I still made my 1:10 plane for Disney with my family!

The HR issues scared me that day, I was up over 220 - three separate times and at another time I was over 200 for 3 consecutive minutes. Since my dad passed away at 44 I've been getting all of the tests done to make sure I'm good to go.

I'm still running and I'm still alive. I'm following more of a Maffetone method for now, looking to improve my aerobic fitness. http://www.markallenonline.com/heartrate.asp I think this will be a big help for me!

I'll post some more soon. Sorry this took forever, but I was in the dumps for a bit. I'm coming out of my shell again now! It helps to know so many great runners in the area!!!

No comments: